In the university where I study, the mere mention of a certain brand of coffee chain will instantaneously put a big “burgis” mark on your forehead.  Yeah, like a once-in-a-blue-moon trip to this specialty store will define your whole life.  Some people can get a little bit too simplistic about things.  They forget the human value of life (wahoo hooray for humanism).

These past few weeks of work and stress, the normal 3-in-1 coffee that used to define caffeine for me just won’t work anymore.  I tend to become more drowsy instead of getting that much-needed jolt for work.  That’s why in a spur-of-the-moment knack for coffee, I ordered something out of the usual from said coffee chain.  I sifted through the menu and picked something I haven’t remotely heard of before.  It has a weird name, and I always have a lot of fun pronouncing it the burgis way.  Tall Caramel Macchiato please.  Hot.  To go.

I sound so conio, I know.  Kidding aside, this delectable cup of coffee did just the trick for me.  And I’ve been addicted ever since.  Now if you know me well enough, it’s a given that I’m such a sleepyhead that I could sleep anywhere I could given any strange circumstance.  But just a cup of Macchiato from Starbucks stirs my senses (ehem, ehem, pahiram, Figaro) and keeps me up ’til the wee hours of dawn–even until the sun rises to greet me good morning.  It’s that effective.

However, just like any other “burgis-burgisan” out there, I soon ran out of money to buy my much-loved Macchiato from Starbucks.  So what do I do?  It’s back to classic 3-in-1, no less.  But let’s give it a little twist.  Starbucks tumbler?  Check!  Sachet of 3-in-1?  Check!  Cowhead Milk?  Check!  Ice cubes?  Check!  Mix everything and anything in one happy tumbler and voila!  You’ve got yourself something that’ll jolt you back to awake-land.  Trust me, being sosyal is never about the money, it’s all about the mindset.  Haha.

So I shall leave you now while I sip caffeine from this made-up reality of mine.  Ciao.

14 Responses to “I am not Burgis.”
  1. drew says:

I’m a certified addict of their Signature Chocolate — hot or iced. So far no one has called me burgis for liking SB. Well, screw them. Anyhow, congrats on your accomplishments this sem. 🙂

2006 was the year I got addicted to Peppermint Hot Choco. Too bad that was only part of their christmas list.

Thanks Kuya Drew! =P

3. Marielle says:

Ang kaso ko, kung bibili ka na lang ng kape sa Starbucks, might as well stay there since you’re paying for the ambience as well 😛

Ang isa ko pang kaso ay bakit kailangan ng tatlong Starbucks sa Katipunan. I don’t get it. :O

Hahaha good points, marielle.

First point, when you’re alone, haggard naman ang mag-stay sa Starbucks. I’d rather ‘to go’ than linger there alone.

Second point, may tawag dun: choice. Hahahaha. Mas gusto ko sa Petron Starbak kase libre wifi. =))

5. Jez says:

Ugh, I feel like an idiot, but what’s burgis, anyway?

Jez, simply put, burgis or the bourgeoisie, is someone who belongs to the upper class of society. =P

7. niño says:

white choco mocha. mmmmm…

may SB sa Petron Katip? Masilip nga minsan.

May magbubukas na SB malapit sa amin, walking distance! JM! Trike na lang mula sa inyo! 😀

8. Baklang AJ says:

being sosyal is never about the money, it’s all about the mindset

Winnur! lol. tawa ako ng tawa dito!

9. Beena says:

Calling someone who’s set foot in that so-called coffee chain a Burgis is defintely UP. While it’s a stereotype, you still can’t blame them. 😛

10. Gian Paolo says:

I have to admit. I am one of those people who think that those who regularly go to these fancy chains are either burgis or social climbers.

11. drew says:

@Gian: Ouch. But nah, SB isn’t something I would call fancy. Get out more, so you’ll see where the real social climbing occurs. Lol.

12. Dave says:

Different coffees have different tastes (blends). Are you dringking for the caffeine kick or to show off.

13. benj says:

It’s not big deal with UP Manila. We’re more secured with how much money we have, I guess. LOL

14. utakGAGO says:

Haha wala ngang Starbucks sa LOS BANOS eh. Da heck!

And yes, sa org ko – I’m the one labeled as “burgis” just because my t-shirts look expensive. Tssssss. Mukha ko pa lang, pang kalye na eh.

Oh well. Hanggang Boston Cafe lang meron ang UPLB. Lolz