498192691_c89d7f5622.jpgMa’am Janette Toral tagged me earlier and it prompted me to write about this topic. Truth be told, I got a lot of insights from the last iBlog Mini held at the College of Law–brief as my stay is–and it prompted me to be more aware of the potentials of blogging during Elections in the country. Personally, as a (hopefully) future media practitioner, one of the fields I want to dabble in is Election reporting. I don’t know why but I get the kicks out of the election season. Maybe because it’s a sign that somehow, even after all the totalitarian measures imposed upon us by the government, the elections still gives us hope and the voice to speak out what’s on top of our heads.

Anyway, going back to Ma’am Janette’s tag, elections are a hotbed of personalities slugging it out to be the next people’s choice. But more vital than personalities, I believe, are issues and their responses to them. One barometer for gauging the viability of a candidate for a certain post is his stance on pertinent issues that concern the nation.

If I were to interview any candidate, here are a string of issues I would want them to have an opinion on:

• Foreign Policy. It’s as important as any other issue out there. Will the next president still allow himself/herself to be controlled by foreign forces (IMF/WB) or countries (US/Europe)? I believe we’ve had enough of the influence the States has over our domestic policies. It’s time to act on our own. How about JPEPA? OFWs and the Brain Drain? Exchange Rate?
  • Education. What’s his/her take on this administration’s view that we indeed have enough school classrooms and that a three-shift school day is an effective method for learning? How about the teacher’s salaries? Can’t we be more like the City of Makati that prioritizes its teachers and school buildings?
  • Oil. I believe junking of the Oil Deregulation Law is the way to go. Will he/she examine alternative sources of fuel effectively? (Unlike this administration who’s bent on using Biofuel when, according to a Nobel Laureate, it’s counter-productive in the first place)
  • Employment. What is his/her vision for this country? Are we a nation of laborers or are we a nation of professionals? Skills Training or College Degree? Manpower or Think-Tanks?
  • Media. This administration is hell-bent on cracking down on the media. Will the next administration be the same? Will he acknowledge the importance of media as a tool for democracy?
  • Political Killings. Will it ever end? How is he/she going to reform the military?

Those are all that I could think of right now. Now, I told you that I got a lot of insights from the iBlog Mini that I attended, and because of that, I’m going to attempt to come up with my clear contribution to making the next elections as democratic as possible. I’ll let you know in a few weeks. =)

*Photo from http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/498192691_c89d7f5622.jpg

21 Responses to “Issues come 2010”
  1. Janette Toral says:

Thank you very much JM for sharing your thoughts. The issues you mentioned are of great concern indeed. This is a great start and hope you’ll achieve your goal in doing election coverage reporting in the future. Cheers!

2. Gian Paolo says:

Regarding the Oil Deregulation Law, I believe otherwise. ๐Ÿ˜€

You might also want to ask about land reform. Many or our nation’s problems has its roots from this issue.

3. yoshke says:

wow. it’s nice na kasama ang foreign policy. hehe. at lalo na yang JPEPA na yan.

@Janette Toral you’re welcome ma’am! I’m gonna solicit your help na rin in the future regarding this matter. Hehe.

@Gian Paolo hmmmm, care to share why?

@yoshke hehe syempre we’re very much influenced by outside forces so we need to make it a point to prioritize foreign policy as well.

5. Gian Paolo says:

Well, I have no formal collegiate education on economics but here’s my take.

Oil is one of the commodities whose price you should never control. Oil price is unstable because of external factors like the weakening American economy, rising demand in India and China, and the strife in Nigeria (a major oil producer in Africa), among others. It is so volatile that some speculate that it may reach $200 a barrel by the end of the year.

Mas lalo na sa Pilipinas. Unfortunately, we import our oil. I think, unless I am mistaken or not updated anymore, 99% of our energy needs are derived from foreign sources. If we regulate the price of oil in this country and not let the market go its own way, there is a chance (I sound so pro-capitalism when I say this haha) that many oil companies, especially the smaller ones, will go bankrupt or, at least, cut on supplies, because of the lack of autonomy. If they go bankrupt or cut up on oil supplies, an energy crisis will occur. If an energy crisis occurs, supplies of other basic commodities like electricity, water, food, and others will go down. When the supplies go down and the demand does not go down with it, prices will go up, so says the textbook formula. Prices will spiral up and we’ll suffer more. A pretty pessimist outlook, I know, but would you like that?

I am aware that the present hike in oil prices is taking its toll on our economy. But we are not the only one ssuffering. Unfortunately for us, we do not have any ‘say’ over the matter as we are only depending on them.

What we can do to reduce the effects of the rising oil costs is, again, looking for alternative sources of energy. Regarding the Biofuels thing: Probably the government got its model from the Brazilian ethanol project. One can argue, however, that they have the luxury of land space to keep this project going. I dunno. I cannot decide for myself if it is really worth it.

6. Gian Paolo says:

Whoa. Ang haba pala ng comment ko. Hahaha. Some things just make me talkative. Economics is one of them. ๐Ÿ˜€

7. Gian Paolo says:

I’ve read somewhere that they are exploring the possibilities of nuclear energy in the Philippines again. Of course, environmentalists don’t like the idea.

I believe (and a very limited one at that) na it’s OK to explore these possibilities and eventually implement it pero extensive research should be done first. Sabi sa nabasa ko (I really can’t remember where) that, even if PGMA approves the use of nuclear energy now, it will take at least 15 years before we can have a fully functional plant.

Many people are afraid na baka mangyari ulit yung nangyaring meltdown sa Chernobyl but what they do not realize is that the Chernobyl plants were made out of Soviet Union engineering and not the kind of nuclear technology we have today. Marami nang gumagamit nito. We can never be 100% sure, though, kaya kailangan talaga ng extensive studies.

Hi Gian! Wow natuwa naman ako sa comment mo na mega-explain talaga. Haha. I understand you’re basing your answers on an economist’s point of view, which, I acknowledge, realizes the importance of the market flow in the oil industry.

However, economic principles aside, there is a political issue behind our oil, don’t you remember? There’s the cartel, and even if the oil companies or the government doesn’t admit it, it’s obvious that it’s there. And you cannot discount the fact that that cartel controls the price of our oil, and, subsequently, our other commodities.

Without the Oil Deregulation law, there will be no cartel. And you know what? The government right now is part of that cartel, because it owns shares in Petron.

Re:Nuclear Energy I agree with you on that one. Although like you’ve said, extensive research talaga, looking into the intricacies of nuclear power to make sure that it’ll be safe, cost-effective and not counter-productive.

Thanks for sharing, Gian!

9. Janette Toral says:

I remember that nuclear energy gets asked time to time in every election and most of them are open to the idea. However, come implementation time, the legislators are the ones who block them.

10. Dane says:

Health may be an issue as well, because of the different phenomena that affects the human system.

I believe that education should be given a lot of importance. I admit that I find the system of Education deteriorating in terms of standards. The sad thing is that the students come 2010 will be greatly affected by this.

On Media, I think Media practitioners by that time (and that includes YOU) should be treated more respect and more security. They are already risking their lives getting the most important scoop everyday of their lives, and yet they are killed for reasons only the detractors know.

On JPEPA, it should be discontinued!

11. Atheista » Blog Archive » Important Issues For the 2010 National Elections says:

[…] Issues come 2010 […]

12. benj says:

Alternative energy isn’t necessarily good for the environment. I think this is the major issue that people choose to ignore. Biofuels will force manufacturers to clear more forests to plant oil producing crops.

13. Neil says:

@benj Not because people choose to ignore, but they are just confused with the ‘bio’ thing… like anything prefixed with ‘bio’ is good for the environment. And yes, it’s a misconception that biofuel will not damage our environment. Biofuel translates to ‘using the environment’.

Hay, si Zubiri nga naman oh. (tgsh!)

14. Gian Paolo says:

If we are looking for really clean energy, the best way to go would be air and solar energy–even hydrogen fuel (when fully developed). But they’re just too expensive…

15. Josie Davis says:

Great site here. Some like yours cover subjects that cant be found in print. I dont understand how we’ve got on 15 years ago with just magazines and newspapers.

16. polo shirts says:

Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group? There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks

17. polo shirts says:

Does your site have a contact page? I’m having problems locating it but, I’d like to send you an e-mail. I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

18. bestslots341 says:

Hey! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

19. 902blackjack says:

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any tips for first-time blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.

20. gratis internet dating says:

One other thing I would like to talk about is that rather than trying to fit all your online degree training on times that you finish off work (as most people are tired when they come home), try to find most of your instructional classes on the week-ends and only a couple of courses in weekdays, even if it means a little time off your saturdays. This is beneficial because on the weekends, you will be far more rested plus concentrated for school work. Thanks a bunch for the different suggestions I have acquired from your site.

21. adipex says:

thank you very much for this article, it was very good and I appreciated it.