Aside from the puto-bungbong, bibingka, holiday cheers and christmas gifts that we anticipate each year, there’s one distinct Christmas tradition that only the privileged few–what people call the burgis or the upper class culture–are fortunate to indulge in. Know what I’m talking about? Read ahead.

76592158_c794a62363_m.jpgThe Starbucks Planner has indeed become a part of the Christmas Culture of Pinoys who can afford. Aside from the fact that you get a nifty little planner for free after buying 24 drinks from Starbucks (which places this most-sought-after tradition at around 2,700 to 3,000 pesos), it has fast become a status symbol for the typical Pinoy Social Climber. After all, what could be more “cool” and “suave” than having the limited-edition super-exclusive cutesy-bitsy planner from Starbucks–the epitome of capitalist and commercial brouhaha–right?!

But then again just like the Mac, the iPod and the iPhone, it’s just all about the hype. People are bragging their planners because, well, they can. I know dozens of people who get the planner every year just for the sake of it–they don’t really use it to its full extent. Sure, there is the fact that you get to donate a portion of the amount you got the planner for to Starbucks’ SparkHope program, but then again, how much of it really goes there?

Okay, I just sounded soooo bitter about not having one, don’t I?

It’s just that… I’m not really a person who’s well into organizing stuff. If you know me, I’m the kind who tends to go burara about everything. So having a Starbucks planner would make it a complete and utter nonsense out of the thing which deserves a much better owner.

The first and only time I got a Starbucks planner was two years ago, and that’s because my best friend is a Starbucks millionaire because he practically excretes Starbucks GCs from his pores. It was quite a simple planner then, just a plain notebook with dates and grids and note pages and stuff, so different from the ones nowadays with all the cowskin leather and pencils and pockets and slips that embellish the planner. Then again I wasn’t able to utilize it that much and instead just created a bitter mess out of it.

This year, just like last year, I’m not getting a Starbucks planner. I’m not gonna throw away 3,000 bucks from my pocket just for the thing (I have much better plans for that huge amount of money, if ever I’ll have it anyway). I’m not gonna ingest gallons of caffeine or sweets and sit comfortably in Starbucks like nothing happens all day. No, I’m not. Because I’m getting something better. I’m getting something more memorable. More useful. More spunk, more edge. Well… at least for me. And here’s to hoping I use it to its full extent.

I can’t wait. For 2008. ^__^

*Photo from rockersworld.com

20 Responses to “Will you really plan ahead?”
  1. Tina says:

After last year’s disappointment with the planner, I decided not to get one this year. I liked the 2006 planner because it became some sort of a mini-diary/prayer journal that everyone can read. This year though, I think it’s too flimsy and still bulky. ๐Ÿ˜€ I’m going for Moleskines for 2008 ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Dane says:

The Starbucks Planner became an accessory for those who want to โ”€ maybe, but I don’t know โ”€ brag. Actually, I always plan ahead on different things, but I end up being โ”€ as what you say โ”€ burara as well.I’m uber excited for 2008.

Happy holidays, JM! ๐Ÿ˜€

3. gibbs says:

so you’re finally getting your laptop? ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Neil says:

Nothing beats the one and a half teaspoon of coffee powder and two tablespoons of Coffee Mate plus half tablespoon of sugar plus two tablespoons of UCARE choco milk diluted in a mug of boiling water with a 500-peso Executive Planner purchased in Hongkong (delivered door-to-door by your Dad working abroad) on your right side.

Hahahahahaha! Socialiteests. :p

@tonyo Nah I’m not going with the hype this year. Methinks the Starbucks planner is better off in the hands of my friends, so I give them my stickers na lang whenever we go to starbucks.

@tina yep bulky=no fun. Sobrang hirap dalhin, sobrang hirap sulatan. I’m getting meself a moleskine as well. =)

@Dane true, true. Dami na ko naencounter na mga may starbucks planner just to brag. Happy Holidays din!

@gibbs hmmmm… wishful thinking! hehehe.

@Neil ayos! perpek!!! Although mas gusto ko ang swissmiss chocolate na kasing mahal din ng starbucks hehehehehe =P

6. Mark says:

And you’re right JM…
    There are also people who get the planner just for the heck of it (or to brag), then write nothing on it because it’s too expensive for ink to touch.
    Haaay… kayabangan at its finest…

7. IA says:

Hindi maganda yung planner this year. ๐Ÿ™

Pero Mom gave me one already, so… happy narin.

Pero JM, mas winner yung UP planner, yun gagastusan ko talaga. HAHAHA!

Ang layo, hello! Ano naman kabrag-brag kung nagsa-Starbucks?! Eh kung naka-UP planner ka… Diba, iba eh. HAHAHAHAHA! Oh no, lumalabas nanaman pagka-hardcore UP fan ko.

PS: Ang chaka ng mga taong nagba-brag ng planner ng Starbucks. HELLLLOOOO! Hahahaha. Sana hindi ko sila makilala. >:)

IAness: yun na nga exactly ang aking kukunin in place of the Starbucks planner! Wahahaha. And I’m so fortunate to have been part of the 1st 100 recipients of the planner which will be released next week! Wuhoo I’m THAT excited! =)

9. utakGAGO says:

This year, I’m planning to get that Starbucks planner. I never had a planner in my life, as in EVAR, and so I think it’ll help me organize my mess. But I’m not trying hard to drink Starbucks anyway – since nasa LB ako and all.

๐Ÿ˜›

10. aileen says:

i’m just a lurker here, but i had to comment when i heard (read) you talking about a UP planner. is there one? where can i buy it?

11. Agent Grey says:

If it’s a moleskine planner, I’ll die for it. Since its just a recycled paper planner, I’ll just buy from bookstores. I have a stickerpad just in case I can fill it.

12. aajao says:

boo! mas ok ang FIGARO kahit walang 2008 planner ๐Ÿ˜›

13. Dane says:

May UP Planner na rin? How to get?

14. Daryl says:

I love planners. But what’s disheartening is when, at the end of the day, I see more to-do boxes Xed than checked. :0

Somebody from EconSoc was selling us “UP Planners” this morning. I wonder if they’re the “UP centennial” ones. They’re selling them at P150 each.

btw, i sent you an email yesterday.

15. Gian Paolo says:

Planners are of no use to me. I got one last year (something pricey-looking but not Starbucks)–and I barely filled the pages in. Hahahaha. It’s difficult to organize stuff.

@agent_grey grabe ang luxurious naman ng planner mo, although I’d choose Moleskine in a heartbeat, just like you. =P

@aajao adik sa FIGARO! Hehe

@Daryl andami na ngang planners eh, although the Centennial Planners haven’t been released as of late

@Gian true, true. But at some point I badly needed a planner because I’m scatter-brained like that. LOL.

17. Angsawariko says:

ouch I’m hurt hehehehehehe, la choice ito na nakasanayan ko na kape dito sa ABS-CBN ito lang naman ang coffe shop na di ka tatawid at byabyahe sa timog to get one though i have starbucks planner mas love ko pa rin abs-cbn planner ko hehehehehe

18. Pika says:

Hmmm…. me thinks it’s kinda unfair to say that it’s part of the usual pinoy social climber’s life. Some people like coffee, some people like starbucks coffee, some people like their nescafe…

anyway, i got my planner. not too happy about it but im happy that i got it after my everyday dose of tea (and/or toffee nut frap).

kung ayaw nyo ng Starbs, abay mag Seattles na lang! May libreng tshirt at mug pa.