erap.jpg

So now it comes to a close. History has been written. Former President Joseph Estrada has been proven guilty of plunder, but got acquitted for perjury.

I’ll leave the political and legal analysis to the experts and lawyers, but here’s what I have to say. I don’t feel vindicated by Erap’s conviction. No, not at all. Why? Because it didn’t feel like we triumphed over evil at all. Yes, we ousted a President who has been proven a plunderer, but unfortunately for we have replaced him with someone even worse.

Erap’s conviction, for me, was all just a ceremony 6 years in the making. Had this present administration proven its worth, I would have been entirely happy of kicking Erap’s ass out of the palace.

And while the media was all hush-hush about this recent development, I appear to be too indifferent to care. As a matter of fact, I slept through the entire coverage.

But the wonders of Web 2.0 didn’t leave me in the dark. The moment I woke up, at around 10 in the morning, I was shocked when I checked on my phone: 51 messages! Believe you me, I was really surprised.

I read the message one by one and as I scrolled from message to message, a slow and interesting turn of drama seemingly unfolded. Piece by piece, moment by moment, I received every bit of information on the trial on my phone. All because of Twitter!

Here’s Kapuso na, Katinig pa correspondent Ederic Eder, reporting:

ederic.jpg

Thank you Ederic. Now let’s proceed to Noemi Dado for her report:

noemi.jpg

Thankyouverymuch Mrs. Noemi. And Sexymom, what was it you wanted to say?

sexymom.jpg

Thank you.

I’m amazed at how Twitter has enabled people to communicate real time, in blow-by-blow progression, the events that happened during Erap’s trial. This is very good news information because it further opens the doors for discoveries of more uses for Twitter and similar Web 2.0 applications. It further proves how Twitter can be a potent tool for mass communication as well.

Ain’t it great? Twitter has evolved from “What are you doing?” into “What’s happening in the world?” I think INQUIRER.net or similar online news media in the Philippines should have a twitter account. I think BBC has one.

Wonder where else we all can use Twitter for? Got any Ideas?

11 Responses to “Erap, Guilty! Twitter, Amazing!”
  1. noemi says:

haaay but a twitter I made on a mark verzo thing was overkilled naman and ended up with a misunderstanding.

@noemi Sigh oo nga tita noemi. I guess every perks has its perils. Will have to make a post on that, maybe in the near future. I still don’t think you deserved the treatment. It’s obviously been blown way out of proportion.

3. benj says:

Here we go! :P

JM, I’m happy for you. You’re on the fast track to blog superstardom. Galeng!

4. benj says:

By the way, my class and block are already using Twitter for class announcements. :p

@kuya benj LOL. What was that for? Was it for the other post (Explainer)?

Haha regardless. Thanks, Kuya Benj! I learned from the best. ;)

And on your 2nd point, ang galeng! Sana I can convince my classmates rin to sign up sa Twitter. Or the whole Journ dept. Some are really apprehensive eh, bombarding me with tons of questions (pakipot kumbaga LOL).

6. andianka says:

aba! talaga namang kakaiba ang teknolohiyang ire… hahahhaa! goodness.. more and more your blog truly is becoming yummy ah.. LOL! keep it up. i agree with benj, this blog is rising up to stardom. gawan na ng issue. hahahah!

teka twit muna ko… LOL!

@andianka sana nga maka-discover pa tayo ng ibang ways to use twitter. =)

Ummm… Yummy? LOL! =P

8. utakGAGO says:

That word, ‘reclusion perpetua’ was stuck in my mind ever since a first year History teacher (in High School) mentioned it!

At least natapos na rin ang paghuhukom. [Or baka sabi nga nila, 'simula pa lang daw 'to ng laban'. Psh.]

@utakGAGO haha simula pa lang to ng laban. Hangga’t di pa natatapos yan sa Supreme Court, walang katapusan ang pag-arangkada ni Erap.

10. ANONYMOUS says:

HEY!!! HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT WE REPLACED ERAP WITH SOMEONE WORSE?!? Of course, I’m not defending GMA. I’m just emphasizing my point. Erap was convicted of plunder. Meaning, he was proven guilty. It’s different with GMA, people!!! She has not been PROVEN GUILTY! And one more thing: How could you say she is worse if she actually improved our economy??? I mean, you could clearly see the difference. I don’t believe that she is bad. I actually think she’s the better than the alternatives. How can you deny that she improved our country??? As said in the news, all the things said about PGMA is considered “chikka” or rumor. I’m sorry for saying these stuff dudes, but I have to spread the word to open the eyes of millions of people. Just for your information, I’m only a first year student in Philippine Science High. Though I’m young, I understand these situations. I feel that sometimes, maybe not you, but others just say things for their own interests. I as a student would not be considered bias since this controversy does not really consern me. I hope you dudes understand what I’m trying to say. Thanks!

11. Edmond Gasson says:

Good post. I learn something more challenging on completely different blogs everyday. It would always be stimulating to learn content material from other writers and follow a bit something from their store. I’d want to use some with the content on my weblog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a hyperlink in your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.