EDIT: Ederic of Tinig.com has compiled/will be compiling in a writing project (aptly called Proyektong Malu Fernandez) all the posts about this journalist. Go check them out!

Once there was a little girlie pig who was alone and lost along the woods. Walking a little further, she encountered a little bottle-like object with crazy shapes painted on it like a wallpaper pattern gone wild. She played with the object with her huge snout, pushing it around and moments later, white smoke came out of the opening of the bottle at one end. The smoke then materialized into *poof! what else?* a genie!

The genie thanked the little pig for setting him free. In accordance with International Genie Freedom law, the genie was to grant the little pig three wishes.

The little pig thought real hard about what to ask of the genie, but nature and instincts acted up first.

First, she requested for tons and tons of food. The moment the genie clapped his hands an avalanche of food came rushing by like chocolate in a wheat field. And the little pig was happy.

Second, she requested for lots and lots of money, so she can buy more food in the future (hey, I’m starting to like this pig. Two steps ahead, eh?), and right after the genie clapped his hands money came raining down from the sky and onto the little pig like much-needed rain.

She had a hard time thinking of her third and final wish. She was completely satisfied with all her food because eating is really what she likes to do. With nature and instinct out of the way, desire kicked in. And so she said she wanted to look like a human being. And with the clap of the genie’s hands, the little girlie pig turned into–what else–a human being!

And that’s how Malu Fernandez came into this world. She may look like a human being but she still acts like a pig, because that was what she wished for, to look like a human being, not be one.

Selfish little glutton!

The first time I read this post I got really infuriated, but had not much guts to write about it. Several hours of reflection got me into this, finally writing my take on the issue.

people-asia-p301.jpgpeople-asia-p311.jpg

Her response to the deluge of feedback about her article:

As I type this, I’d like you to know that it’s not about whining, complaining and bitching but just stating the facts. Just recently, I wrote a funny article in my magazine column and my friends thought it was hilarious. It was humorous and quite tongue-in-cheek, or at least I thought so, until the magazine got a few e-mails from people who didn’t get the meaning of my acerbic wit. The bottom line was just that I had offended the reader’s socioeconomic background. If any of these people actually read anything thicker then a magazine they would find it very funny. Most people don’t get the fact that they need bitches like me to shake up their world, otherwise their lives would be boring and mediocre. I obviously write for the a certain target audience and if what I write offends you, just stop reading.

Although it may sound elitist to you the fact is this country is built on the foundation of haves, have-nots and wannabes. One group will never get the culture of the other. Although I could mention that it is easier to understand someone who has a lower socioeconomic background that would entail a whole other page and frankly I don’t want to be someone to bridge the gap between socioeconomic classes. I leave that to the politicians in my family who believe they can actually help. Now I seriously ask you, am I being a diva or are people around me just lacking in common sense? Perhaps it’s a little of both!

It’s not at all right for someone–a fellow Filipino no less–to look down upon “lowly” human beings of her own kind. Sure, all the criticism were all in the spirit of wit and humor, but a different kind of humor no less, one that is very much unacceptable in this very political nation.

If you’re gonna kid about someone or something, and you just don’t care if people will get it or ride with or whatnot, please, save yourself the effort, just shut up. If Malu and her friends found all these prejudices funny, that’s because they belong to the same kind of awful people good people have to deal with in this godforsaken nation. Sorry if we don’t get the joke Malu, because to us it’s not a joke at all.

By insulting the mannerisms of OFWs Malu has indirectly assaulted herself. It’s the Filipino culture she’s attacking here, thereby going back to herself in the process. Respect this people, you filthy woman! They at least (somehow) make this freakin’ economy thrive, not like you who rants and complains about mosquitoes and algae but contributes only to the fat and calorie intake of the Philippines!

This woman has no brains at all, but definitely has a lot of balls for saying things like these. It’s people like Malu Fernandez, and not PGMA or some government mongrel, that makes me want to run to EDSA and demand–not request, DEMAND–social change and equality. It’s people like her that would definitely make me want to leave the Philippines if they continue to lambast and look down on people who weren’t as “lucky” as them.

And what were the editors doing?! They were supposed to be gatekeepers, not trespassers who let wild boars like Malu get away with stuff like these! I surely wanna see some spanking.

Ano, EDSA 4 na?

Join the call: Fire Malu Fernandez, Boycott Manila Standard Today and People Asia Magazine now!

Go Inquirer! Hehe.

I’ve been doing the boycott ever since ever. (read: I don’t read these publications at all!)

21 Responses to “The Malu Fernandez Story”
  1. andianka says:

not too harsh. but perfect! hahahaha! im so ashamed she’s a filipino. if only we were the ones wishing on that genie, eah? :D

I’d wish I’d wish she turns back into the tiny little pig she once was! Hehe. :P

3. rach says:

sounds like an airhead to me who suddenly got rich.
    in short, cheap. ;)

*bulong*buti na lang wala tayong prof na tiga-Manila Standard.*evil laugh*

Hahaha apir Rach! I am so proud we’re taking Ma’am Chua’s class right now! =P

5. bunggay says:

amp*ta!sori for the word.
    asan na ang journalism for the people?
    asan na ang journ ethics?
    amp*ta ulit.

Ampuso mo! I was as adamant as you are when I first read it. ;)

7. yoshke says:

ahaha. ngayon ko lang narinig ‘to. harsh. and im not talking about your post.

hey, i dont know if it’s just me but everytime I access your blog, something always pops up: Stack overflow at line whatever. I just think you should know.

Whoa, really? Hmmm, doesn’t seem to happen to me. I badly need to get myself my own host. Thanks for the heads up! =)

9. http://sulokkk.blogspot.com/ says:

did the pig say anything wrong in her article? where? i can’t see? lol… joke!

so you know mr. rosal huh. :) ) like his hairstyle, you tell him! hahaha!

Yes, he’s a friend in the community. Don’t worry I’ll tell him. ;)

11. http://sulokkk.blogspot.com/ says:

hey no!! i was just joking. haha!

i chatted with rex awhile ago. =)

12. christian says:

I really can’t believe that she wrote that, to think that she’s a Filipina. What’s more is that it looks like her editors didn’t thoroughly edited her article. She’s discriminating us, her own countrymen!

It’s actually more depressing to hear that the editors allowed this to get past their watch than Malu’s words herself. I mean, they’re the last line of defense! Unless they condone this type of behavior, which is really telling of them.

14. Mateo29 says:

Forget about ethics and all that journalistic stuff, hindi lang ‘to tungkol sa pagiging isang responsible writer… this is about being a sensible and humane individual… Grabe… pagkatapos kong basahin ang article na yun, gusto ko siyang dalhin sa Divisioria. Malu Fernandez, I dare your big fat ass and your abnormal-sized boobs to be in Divisoria and be enlightened about the real plight of the Filipinos… and to think pinandirihan niya pa yung may mga pabango…

Go to hell Malu Fernandez. Kung alam mo lang, ang mga OFW ay mas malaki ang nacocontribute sa Pilipinas, kumpara dyan sa malaki mong puwet, buwiset!!

The hell people care kung magkalumot ang adidas mo sa boracay. To think maraming pilipino ang nagnanais makapunta doon pero hindi nila kaya. at ang pagsakay sa economy class, helo? ang daming pilipino ang hindi makasakay sa efflane.

you know what ms. fernandez, sana ma-tv to, esp. sa tv patrol at 24 oras, at tiyak… may kapalit na si wendy… !!!! at once mangyari yun, you better watch your back, dahil nanaisin naming malunod ka sa ilog pasig!

nakakairita lang talaga at yan dito na ako nagpuputok ng butsi ako sa blog ni jm, hehe… my mother was an ofw and talagang pinataas nito ang aking blood pressure…

AND to jm, thank you for this post… tama ka, nakakapagtaka kung bakit pinapalagpas to ng mga editors… kung sayo dumaan yang article na yan, malamang, sa shredder mo dinala, hehe…

15. dimaks says:

where is my jungle bolo? hehehe… peace loving ako, tali na lang :D

16. BAS says:

It’s obvious that our kontrabida gusto lang magpasikat. I mean she must be very insecure with that pig-ish body. I don’t know if she’s that rich, but there are rich people who take pride in their bodies, and looks. They would go to great lengths, use a substantial amount from their wealth, to at least look good and presentable. Well, if she’s rich, she must have done so to no avail. So nagpapaka-kontrobersyal na lang. I am just silently amused thinking what she must feel reading all the tirades against her. Oh well, maybe she does not read them at all. Still, if she has friends, NAKAKAHIYA!

@Mateo29: o, ang puso mo! Hehe. I can feel your anger from a thousand miles. Hehe. But that’s understandable because she hit your chords, right smack in the heart. Ummm, wanna rant in your own blog? Hehe. There’s Blogger or WordPress, rant lang! =)

@dimaks: haha ako din peace loving… until I read this. Bigla akong naging balistic! Hahaha.

@BAS: True. What she lacks in looks, she compensates for in controversy. Hahaha. Sad to say it’s workin’! Dammet!

18. The Malu Fernandez Campaign Index « blog @ AWBHoldings.com says:

[...] buy class BOYCOTT THE MANILA STANDARD!!! To all J121 Students, PLEASE READ! Her Crystal Palace The Malu Fernandez Story Bigotry In The Media? Malu Fernandez, dikit mo ilong mo sa putik! from boracay to greece you [...]

19. Blue Pencil Chronicles » How to Twitter using your mobile says:

[...] charge you Php15.00 per tweet. How’s that for expensive? You’d have to be as rich as Malu Fernandez to be able to afford this one. [...]

Hmmmm, if that account is real then I guess, yes, that’s her! =)